Next: Reporting Bugs
Several restrictions apply to the current version of FM:
The FM team is committed to delivering constant improvements
to the FM software.
- Platforms. FM works exclusively under Solaris and Linux.
- "Centralized" Auction House. Though the auction itsef can
be run in a distributed manner (each agent intermediary composing the market
institution could be spawned in a different
machine), the current version
does not exploit this capability and thus runs the whole auction house on
the same machine. Notice that this restriction has been solely motivated
by our desire to keep things simple when possible.
- Bidding Protocols. FM implements the Dutch bidding protocol
- Tournament Modes. Those modes involving sellers have not
included in this version.
- Database. FM is prepared to be connected to a MySQL
- Local trace. FM monitoring capabilities reduce to LAN
While the current version of FM is well-tested, the newer
versions of FM available on our Web site tend to have better
performance, improved scalability, more bug fixes, and occasionally, new
features over older versions.
Many new features are currently under development for the forthcoming
- Platforms. Support for Windows.
- Distributed Auction House. Possibility of distributing the
agent intermediaries composing the auction house.
- Bidding Protocols. Implementation of FPBS, Vickrey and
- Tournament Modes. Inclusion of tournament modes involving
- Database. Possibility of selecting the database to connect
to (oracle, mysql, informix, etc.) plus a built-in database browser.
- WWW Access. Possibility for human agents to participate
through the web. This is currently possible if using a HotJava browser,
but it is somewhat troublesome for Netscape since there is no
full support for JDK1.1.
Juan Antonio Rodriguez
Fri Oct 16 15:39:57 MET DST 1998